Sunday, March 20, 2011

Reflection #2

An interesting concept I learned about was the Pecha Kucha presentation methodology.  It is used as an organization model consisting of 20 slides, each shown for 20 seconds.  Unlike a PowerPoint presentation, this presentation relies heavily on images to represent concepts.  Not only was this an interesting concept for presenting content, but it also made me question my own teaching methods which have been typically droning on and elaboration followed by more talking and kids looking at me like “is she ever going to stop talking?”   A lot of times in giving directions or explaining I see the deer in the headlights look—like I’ve lost my audience….but I still have all this content to relay!

I have definitely learned that less is more! By limiting audio and increasing visuals I think I will be better able to capture my audience’s attention and hold it there.  Lastly, I have been able to practice this skill in class by limiting my blog posts to 150 words.  This made me really think critically about the information I read.  Sometimes it’s easy to go on and on because you don’t want your readers to miss anything.  I’m trying to apply this same skill and concept to my own teaching methods.

I am really looking forward to trying the Pecha Kucha out with students next time instead of doing a PowerPoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment